The meshless CFD simulation software NOGRID points can help to understand the flow inside the cavity. It can show the entrapment of air, the foam density distribution of the isolation material and the pressure of the PU foam acting on the cavity. NOGRID unites abilities to handle free surface flow and moving parts in the domain and allows the simulation of any conceivable dashboard geometry and operation modes such as
- PU injection by one or more inlets,
- moving of the mixing head,
- free definable PU properties by equations or curves,
- large car dashboard geometries with small gaps or cutouts and
- open or closed molds including moving of the top mold (plunger).
Figure 1: PU injection using a fix inlet. Shortly after injection the effect of gravity can be seen (Geometry: Faurecia Interior Systems).